OFPC has been made aware of an incident in New York State FD response area. The Town Animal Control Officer has come down with a disease called Leptospirosis. The Village Animal Control Officer who also operated at the same location went for medical base line information and multiple shots. This was due to an exposure from animal urine from infected animals. The home where this exposure took place is going under condemnation proceedings and the occupants of the home have been removed. The condition of the home has changed the response procedures to include adding a HazMat component to the response for any call at the residence along with mandatory PPE and SCBA. The thought is that due to the economy and the possible abandonment of animals in homes that are not taken care of that this may become more of an issue to emergency responders who have to operate in or around this type of residence. Attached is the CDC information that you may want to send out as an advisory.
Animal care organizations nationwide have reported an “up-tick” in the number of incidents involving abandoned pet animals. This is likely due to the economy and the inability of people to properly care for pet animals. Should you encounter a situation wherein pet animals appear to be neglected, not properly cared for, or abandoned, immediately institute the same Blood Borne Pathogens, and Body Substance Isolation precautions as you would for human contact. Notify the appropriate animal control agency in your jurisdiction.
Additional Info from NCFM HazMat
Overview - Leptospirosis is a rare, severe, and contagious bacterial infection.
Symptoms can take 2 - 26 days (average 10 days) to develop, and may include:
Less common symptoms include:
Medications to treat leptospirosis include:
Complicated cases will need supportive care.
Leptospirosis is caused by exposure to several types of the Leptospira bacteria, which can be found in fresh water that has been contaminated by animal urine. It occurs in warmer climates.
Risk factors include:
Leptospirosis is rare in the continental U.S. Hawaii has the highest number of cases in the U.S.
Tests & diagnosis
The blood is tested for antibodies to the bacteria.
Other tests that may be done:
The outlook is generally good. However, a complicated case can be life-threatening if it is not treated promptly.
Avoid areas of stagnant water, especially in tropical climates. If you are exposed to a high risk area, taking doxycycline may decrease your risk of developing disease.
When to contact a doctor
Contact your health care provider if you have any symptoms of, or risk factors for leptospirosis.
12 entries in the News
SVFC took 1st place for best appearing squad at NHFD Fire Truck Spectacular
Best Appearing Engine
Best appearing Appearing Ambulance
Attention officers:Website email addresses have been set up for each office.Please see Captain Edward LeFever for your log in credentials.Thank YouAny other member wishing to have an email address on the website see ed as well.
The annual Department Christmas party raises over $600 for charity. The SVFC annual Christmas party raised over $600 for charity during our Christmas auction hosted by Mike Knapp. All gifts auctioned off were donated by member which were were both naughty and nice. The gag and real gifts created many laughs for our firefighter families. A few pictures show some of the great times had by all. This annual event is one of the biggest charity events put on by the Schuyler Fire Company and our famil...
Schuyler Fire Company elects and appoints 2013 officers The Schuyler fire company electionss and appointments have chosen the following for 2103 Civil Officers President - Paul Thomas Vice President - Leeah Triple Treasurer - Joe Madeira Secretary - Ethan Geary Board of Directors Butch Staffo Scott Lang John Scholl Jr. Fire Officers Chief - Donald kane ...
The Schuyler Fire Company Now accepts donations on our web site. Thank You for your support.
The schuyler Fire Company attended the Newport Fire Department Parade on 7/31/2010 and received a tropy for Best appearing Pump as well as a trophy for best appearing Ambulance. Thank You to the crew that assisted in the parade. A job well done.
The New York State Labor Department has begun to cite Fire Departments in New York State for violations of a recently enacted statute requiring that proper procedures be in place to prepare for the purchase of bail out and evacuation equipment for interior firefighters. The statute required a Risk Assessment be accomplished by March 27, equipment be purchased by April 20 and training on the use of such equipment be commenced by June 27 of this year. Fire Departments and volunteer emerge...
Carbon Monoxide Detectors Required Under New Law Amanda’s Law, passed in the 2009 Session of the New York State Legislature, will establish a new requirement for installation of carbon monoxide detectors in homes. Under the law, one-family homes, two-family homes, dwellings located in condominiums or cooperatives, and multiple dwellings must have a carbon monoxide detector installed regardless of the date of construction or sale. The law was named after Amanda Hansen, a tee...
Leptospirosis OFPC has been made aware of an incident in New York State FD response area. The Town Animal Control Officer has come down with a disease called Leptospirosis. The Village Animal Control Officer who also operated at the same location went for medical base line information and multiple shots. This was due to an exposure from animal urine from infected animals. The home where this exposure took place is going under condemnation proceedings and the occupants of the hom...
President Signs Extension of Ryan White Act Recently, President Obama signed a law extending provisions of the Ryan White Act. This federal law protects volunteer emergency responders by establishing notification requirements when responders may have been exposed to infectious diseases. Under the new provisions of the law, if a medical facility determines that a patient has an infectious disease, then the medical facility must notify the emergency responder who transported the patient wi...
12 entries in the News
Cancer in the fire service fund raiser for Oneida and Herkimer counties