Recent Calls
Wed. Jan 7th 2015
At 0528, Schuyler Fire was dispatched to a possible structure fire on Mowers Rd in the Town of Schuyler. Initial reports indicated smoke was filling the residence. Unit 2, upon arrival, upgraded the...
Sat. Nov 22nd 2014
At 1107, two engine crews from Schuyler Fire were requested by Frankfort Center FD to the scene of a working structure fire at the CharlesTown Mall Complex in Frankfort. Initial reports stated there ...
Fri. Sep 19th 2014
Image
Just before 0500 am Schuyler Fire Department was toned out for an outdoor fire. Initial reports from dispatch stated that that the fire was confined to an outdoor boiler. Secondary reports stated th...
Thu. Sep 18th 2014
Around 0930 this morning, Schuyler Fire and Schuyler Ambulance were dispatched to a one vehicle MVA with possible injury in the 200 block of Newport Road. Initial on-scene reports stated that both oc...
Wed. Sep 17th 2014
This afternoon around 1400hrs, Schuyler Fire and Schuyler Ambulance were dispatched to an MVA involving a motorcycle in the area of 1300 State Route 5 (Herkimer Road). Initial reports from dispatcher...
News Headlines
Mon. Jul 29th 2019
SVFC took 1st place for best appearing squad at NHFD Fire Truck Spectacular
Mon. Jul 14th 2014
Best appearing Appearing Ambulance
Mon. Mar 31st 2014
Attention officers:Website email addresses have been set up for each office.Please see Captain Edward LeFever for your log in credentials.Thank YouAny other member wishing to have an email address on ...
Sat. Dec 15th 2012
Image
The annual Department Christmas party raises over $600 for charity.
The SVFC annual Christmas party raised over $600 for charity during our Christmas auction hosted by Mike Knapp. All gifts auctioned...
News
Carbon Monoxide Detectors Required Under New Law
Sun. Feb 7th 2010

 

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Required Under New Law

Amanda’s Law, passed in the 2009 Session of the New York State Legislature, will establish a new requirement for installation of carbon monoxide detectors in homes. Under the law, one-family homes, two-family homes, dwellings located in condominiums or cooperatives, and multiple dwellings must have a carbon monoxide detector installed regardless of the date of construction or sale. 

The law was named after Amanda Hansen, a teenager whose life was tragically ended by a carbon monoxide leak from a defective boiler while she was sleeping at a friend’s house in January 2009.

The new law requires that the carbon monoxide detector be a device meeting New York State standards, and that it be installed in an operable condition in dwellings where there are appliances or systems that may emit carbon monoxide or have an attached garage.

Prior to Amanda’s Law, carbon monoxide detectors were required in one-family dwellings, two-family dwellings, and dwellings located in condominiums or cooperatives only if they were constructed or offered for sale after July 30, 2002. For multiple dwellings (such as a tenement, hotel, and dormitories) carbon monoxide detectors were required if they were constructed or offered for sale after August 9, 2005.

As a result of Amanda’s Law, a carbon monoxide detector will be found in nearly all residential structures in the state. This creates a safer living environment for New York residents and creates a greater awareness of home safety issues that are intensified by seasonal heating issues prevalent in the Northeast.      

Amanda’s Law takes effect on February 22, 2010.

12 entries in the News

12 entries in the News


© 2021 Schuyler Volunteer Fire Company Inc.